Friday, October 23, 2009

My First Bike - Suzuki TS 125

I can't remember how old I was - maybe 12.  My friend David had an old Suzuki TS 125 that he wanted to sell - he had recently gotten a new Honda 3-wheeler and was no longer riding the bike.  Somehow, I managed to talk my dad into buying this bike.  Mom and Dad certainly did not spoil me when I was a kid.  We had a nice home and I had nice stuff, but there was no brand new machine sitting in the garage on Christmas morning with a bow on it.  My parents taught me to take care of what I had and it will last you a long time.  I was the kid that actually washed and waxed his bicylce.  I haven't done so well with my kids - I can't even get them to use the damn kickstand.  But that's another story.  Anyway, while all my friends were getting fancy Honda 3 wheelers and other dirt bikes for Christmas, I was on the sidelines anxious to get my own motorized toy.  When David suggested I buy his old bike, I am sure I put some awesome sales pitch together and promised my parents the world....they bought it - and we bought the bike. 



The TS 125 that I had looked a little rougher than this one.  Mine was missing the headlight and tail rack.  Dad and I bought a plastic dirt bike number plate to replace the headlight - it looked pretty cool.  The bike wasn't very powerful and realistically probably needed a carburetor re-build at a minimum.  I didn't care.  I rode the bike on a flat field road behind my house - up and down, up and down.  I loved that bike.  I even remember riding it around the yard in the snow.  Ah - fun times...there is just something about the freedom of 2-wheels. 

No comments: