Monday, October 25, 2010

Summer Trip to Deals Gap - Motorcycle Camping

Earlier this year, I got a Saturday night yard pass and decided to throw the tent and sleeping bag on the bike and head up to Deals Gap and ride the Tail of the Dragon on the KLR.  Overall, it was a great - but short trip. 

IRONHORSE
I rode up late Morning Saturday, set up camp at the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge - an awesome place.  Very nice people, clean facility, and friendly bikers to visit with 

After setting up camp, I unloaded some stuff off the bike and took off on US 28 over to th Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort and then rode the Dragon.  Man, what a place.  Intersting piece of road, 318 curves in just 11 miles.  Lots of hooligans - and cars crossing the center line in curves. 

I got back to the camp at dinner time and learned that Graham county is dry - your kidding me?  So, I took off and rode to Bryson City NC - 20 minutes up the road and grabbed a couple of cold beers at a gas station and came back.  THEN I had had enough riding.  I had dinner and sat by the campfire with other bikers listening to a couple of "locals" picking the guitar and singing tunes.

The next morning  had to get back for Antonio's game, so I loaded the bike early and rode straight back the shortest route possible - 3 hours 15 minutes total time - not bad.