Monday, October 25, 2010

Flat Tires Suck

During summer vacation in July, my wife spent 2 weeks in Ohio visiting family.  I rode my motorcycle just about everyday while she was gone and there was little "commitments" to atten to at home.  One evening, I took off just before sunset over to Gainesville for a quick run around Lake Lanier.  Just as I got to my furthest point and ready to turn around and head back, I picked up a nail in my rear tire rounding an intersection.  Man, that is a bad feeling to have a tire go completely flat in about 5 seconds in a corner.  I got the bike off the road and into a CVS Parking lot and called Geico Insurance roadside.  Yeah - they got me home, almost 3 hours later.  So, now, not only do I have a new set of Avon Gripsters on the bike, but I also have a tire repair kit and spare tubes on board!

I decided to replace both front and rear tires.  I got to put my motorcycle jackstand to the test.  It was fairly straightforward and easy to do (a positive of owning a KLR).  After the work was complete, I took off for Wolf Pen Gap Road - remembering the last words from the guy at the tire shop "these tires will be dangerous if not respected for the first couple hundred miles as they wll be slippery".  Man was he right - and it rained on me to boot!

The new tires were purchased at Riders Hill after a bunch of research.  They are 80% street and 20% dirt.  Since purchasing the tires, they have enough miles on them for me to conclude they are decent for the style of riding I am doing and an overall good choice. 


No comments: