Monday, October 25, 2010

Stock Exhaust - Gotta Go!

Does anyone ever keep the stock exhaust on a motorcyle for very long?  Answer - no, because they generally sound bad, weigh too much, restrict airflow too much, and sometimes look bad too.  In the case of the KLR, all 4 apply - especially weight - take a look at these picks - BOAT ANCHOR.  I went with an FMF Q4 slip on.  It's a nice inexpensive system that sounds good but is the quietest of the aftermarket pipes available for the KLR.  I also tuned the bike doing what's called the "22 cent mode" which is basically shimming the carb needle with a #4 washer from Ace Hardware - a very popular mod.  I also enrichened the mixture, torn out the "snorkel" from the airbox, and installed an UNI performance air filter.   I am very pleased with the results the bike came to life after the mods.  It's still a 650, but it's much more responsive and sounds better too.  It's popping on decel from the emissions air pump - that's my next mod - I need to remove it.



 

No comments: